I’ve been reading precious little on my own account over the last few months. What I have been doing, most nights of the week, is reading to David. He’s a strong reader in his own right and is well able to cope with run-of-the-mill kids’ books, so I’m leaving the Horrid Henries of this world for him to explore on his own. However, for slightly more advanced reading we’ve instituted a reading hour where I will read him a couple of chapters of something (he now calls these “chapter books” as a result) and the rest of the time before lights out is for him to read simpler stuff by himself.
The material so far has been heavily slanted towards fantasy, as you can see from the list below -
· J.R.R. Tolkien: “The Hobbit”
· J.K. Rowling: “Harry Potter & The Philosopher’s Stone” (Harry Potter I)
· Diana Wynne Jones: “Charmed Life” (Chrestomanci Chronicles I)
· Joan Aiken: “Tales of Arabel’s Raven”
· J.K. Rowling: “Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets” (Harry Potter II)
· Dianna Wynne Jones: “Archer’s Goon” (non- Chrestomanci)
· Joan Aiken: “Arabel & Mortimer”
· J.K. Rowling: “Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban” (Harry Potter III)
· Dianna Wynne Jones: “The Lives of Christopher Chant” (Chrestomanci II, in progress)
( Read more...Collapse )
- Current Mood: cold
- Current Music:announcement pending
Beijing. We'd been in China about 3 days and were joining an organised tour that day. When we arrived at the hotel there were garbled rumours amongst the rest of the group but we only found out the horrible scale of the events when we went to the tour guide's hotel room and watched the planes hit the WTC on a postage stamp sized video on his laptop. We were in East Asia (China, Nepal, HK, Japan) for another three months, wierdly insulated from the whole frenzy, getting information through Channel 9, poor internet connections and occasional BBC World Service (I had a little short wave with me, but it wasn't much use).
(Button doesn't seem to have come across....)
- Current Location:Another part of the 'Stow...
- Current Mood: aggravated
- Current Location:Da Stow
- Current Mood:busy